03 Trail of Blood

Inching toward the garage door, and specifically the doorway cut into it, I silently gauged if I had enough energy for a detour. While still twenty feet away, I made the decision to do so.

So I refocused my direction and entered the house by way of the open kitchen door, with the intent of pulling the phone off the wall and trying to contact the handful of people I knew in the city of Lima.

This planned detour was not without some additional pain, as I had to first drag my broken leg up over the kitchen step. I got to the phone and this was the first time I noticed that I was leaving behind a trail of blood everywhere I had crawled.

Up to this point, I had focused all my energies on crawling. I had purposely attempted to put out of my mind any circumstances that would thwart my effort of making it to my destination. --But the trail of blood I now noticed behind me did act as a reality check to me that I shouldn’t push the limits too far.


Labels: