16 Dr. Arias Arrives

Having my leg back in a more natural position and under controlled pressure reduced the strain and tenseness immensely, allowing me the opportunity to think clearly for an extended period. Using Soledad to translate, I committed to having everything re-explained to me from square one, including gaining a better understanding of the options available to me as far as surgery.

More good news, as I looked up to see the concerned face of my good friend, Dr. Arias, on whose property the accident had occurred. Dr. Arias had been reached on his cell phone after having driven about an hour and a half drive outside of Lima, en route to a holiday destination with his family.

Dr. Arias, with his medical background, and likewise bilingual, proved to be a key component and Godsend, stepping in to take charge, talking to the surgeon who’d examined me, and otherwise being available to help me make the necessary decisions facing me at this juncture in time.

This is when I also found out, to my relief, that my leg was not “infected”, but that “contaminated” is a medical term indicating that there is a high risk of infection due to the fact that the wound was open. And in my case, the bones protruding out of the skin had more or less acted as a plough, dragging up dirt and all sorts of foreign elements during the course of my hundred yard pilgrimage over grass, concrete and pavement.

Labels: