04 Busy Phone Lines

By this time I had painfully wiggled the phone off the wall, pulled out my address book and then attempted to phone the three or four numbers that I had of acquaintances here in the capital. Unfortunately after each attempt I only met with a busy signal, not the friendly voice I sought for.

By the time I had tried 4 different numbers a couple of times each, I had lost my forward momentum and was now feeling very weak and tired. It was indeed quite an effort get crawling again, not to speak of having to first drag the lower half of my body around a full 180 degrees in the narrow hallway where the phone was located.

My slow crawl continued back through the kitchen, down the step on to the driveway, the last twenty-five feet of my trek to the outside world.

Passing my packed and ready-to-go carry-on suitcase, I unzipped the outside pocket and dug out my passport, my airline ticket, my credit cards and my wallet which I then crammed into the pockets of my khakis, and then continued the crawl to the garage door.

Labels: