24 Latin Call to Surgery

At 5 p.m., I was told that my surgery was scheduled for 6 p.m.

In true Latin American fashion, 6 p.m. came and passed, so I asked again and was told that surgery was shifted to 7 p.m. This happened again at 8 p.m.

I decided to relax, and consciously lower my expectations.

At 11:30 that night, I was finally wheeled down to surgery, which lasted about two hours.

When I awoke from surgery, and looked down at my leg, I was shocked.

Furthermore, I had no feeling whatsoever from the waist down, my body paralyzed without even so much as the ability to wiggle a toe.

But I have gotten ahead of myself here.

Undergoing surgery in a Latin American country is an experience. Among other things, I had to be willing to lay aside a number of mindsets of how this would be handled in my home country, let alone attempting to compare the two.


Labels: