13 Arrival at San Paolo Hospital

So we pulled away from the local clinic, and continued the bouncing and lurching expedition to another city hospital that the clinic workers recommended. I was thankful that I was at least in the hands of people who were doing their best to get me medical attention.

I realized that I had lost a fair amount of blood by this time. So between burst of pain, I prayed that I wouldn’t have to get a blood transfusion, as I figured that was one more thing that could go wrong in this environment.

As we pulled up to San Paolo hospital, I was relieved to look up and see a modern facility. Obviously trained medical staff transferred me from the fiberglass stretcher to a regular stretcher, and then to a hospital bed for observation. I was gratefully aware that this was all done rather professionally and therefore without too much pain.

I bid farewell to my guardians-now-become-friends, the firemen, one of whom I had found spoke a little English, a very kind fellow indeed, sympathizing with me in my pain and trying to offer some words of comfort.

This was in stark contrast to the head of the association, who had also climbed in the back of the truck to accompany me to the hospital, still clutching my passport as collateral.

Labels: