10 The Firemen Arrive

Right about this time, a compact truck pulled up and out jumped two men in orange overalls, who announced themselves as firemen. In Latin countries, the equivalent of 911 emergency services are firemen, who tend to show up more on their schedule than yours.

From the questions one firemen was asking me, I was somewhat reassured that he at least knew the basics of CPR and first aid. Shortly thereafter, I was shifted onto a narrow fiberglass stretcher, which they lifted, and then began moving me through the garage portal.

At that point, I pleaded with the fireman carrying the bottom end of my stretcher to please be very careful in passing through the narrow doorway, pointing out that my right foot was sticking out in an unnatural angle and therefore very prone to be bumped.

Moments after receiving assurances that they’d be very careful, they bumped my foot right into the door jam, which brought with it a renewed wave of pain and nausea. This proved to be just a foretaste of my trip to the clinic.

Labels: