09 Open Compound Fracture

When I came to, I noticed that the two women kneeling down by my damaged right leg had lifted up my pant leg and cut my shoe off, and were proceeding to slit my pant leg, in order to wrap something around my wound.

Staring down, I was somewhat taken back to see the angle of my right foot in relationship to my leg. Instead of my foot being perpendicular to my leg, it was winging off in an unnatural sideways angle.

The reality of my injury also included the rather surrealistic view of two jagged bones sticking through the skin on the opposite side of my leg, from the six-inch rupture above my ankle. I was later to find out that this was not just a broken leg, but an open compound fracture.

Focusing my attention elsewhere, I glanced over to notice that the “in my face” association watchdog had managed to get a hold of my passport which he then pocketed, presumably as reassurance that my story was true, and to protect his own job if I wasn’t being truthful.

Labels: