05 Fresh Breeze

I crawled right up flush to the garage door, and threw my shoulder up as high as I could in order to grasp the handle, and attempted to open it.

As the door swung open. I was greeted by the most cool, refreshing breeze imaginable, which seemed to herald my upbeat victory of having successfully crawled a hundred yards, inch by inch. The journey began in the courtyard that I had fallen into, took me around the outside perimeter of the property, and now I just yards away from the road where I hoped I’d be able to beckon help from a friendly passer-by or taxi.

I looked up, thrilled to see the driver of the private taxi firm that I had called earlier in the morning to arrange for a pick-up to take me to the airport. With pretty much my last breath and surge of energy, I called out to him in Spanish that I’d been hurt and to please summon a doctor.

Recognizing from the emotion expressed in his eyes that he had understood my communication, I then confidently and immediately passed out. The top half of my body was sprawled outside the garage door, while my legs lay behind me inside the compound.


Labels: