25 A Latin Procedure

As I was wheeled into the relatively Spartan operating theater, I was pleasantly surprised to hear lively Latin music pervading the atmosphere.

While still in the hallway, I’d had the chance to speak at length with the orthopedic surgeon who was going to be operating on me, as well as his attendants. A couple nurses joined in the conversation, which ended up ranging from the tattoo on my arm (a rash decision taken in teen hood) to religion and politics, and somewhere in there I was canvassed as to my opinion on how Peruvian girls rate on a worldwide beauty scale.

This casual exchange continued on into the operating theater, the Latin music adding to the very laid back environment, with the doctors and nurses all laughing and joking and as relaxed as if they were family attending a Sunday get together.

I will leave it up to the reader to judge if this is preferable as compared to a more formal staid environment one might expect in an operating theater in the States.

Labels: