06 In and Out of Consciousness

When I regained consciousness, and came to my senses, which occurred as two separate incidences, I saw that an array of people had now gathered around. Among them was a neighbor, a couple maids who worked in this affluent Lima suburb, uniformed security men whose job it was to guard various nearby residences, and others who were merely curious. Unfortunately, no one spoke English.

I grabbed my agenda and wrote down phone numbers of acquaintances in Lima, tore these from my notebook and handed these out to different ones who had cell phones. I pleaded with them in my basic Spanish if they would please call these numbers and explain to whoever answered that I had been hurt, and asking if they could meet me at the hospital.

During this whole time I felt very faint, and was basically passing in and out of consciousness. It seemed each time I opened my eyes anew that a new person had arrived on the scene, howbeit not a doctor or medical personnel.

My tedious hundred-yard journey, 3600 inches, had probably required just about that many individual thrusts forward to cover the distance. And I felt it.

Labels: