12 Things Could Be Worse

There’s a Bible verse where the Lord promises “ALL things work together for GOOD for them who love God, those called according to His purpose.” (Romans 8:28)

When I accept this, it makes it much easier to accept that God is aware of whatever happens to me, and that it will somehow work together for good. Focusing on this simple fact reassures me that God loves me, and that there is a plan when things don’t go the way I expect or want.

Taking this from another angle, I always try to focus on the fact that things could be worse, much worse. For example, just a few days back, as part of my work, I “toured” reputedly the largest garbage dump in South America, which is just north of Trujillo Peru. Acres of garbage rotting in the hot sun teem with thousands of poor people-- men, women and children--scouring the garbage for remnants to gather and sell in order to eke out a basic existence.

I remembered one particular little 5-year-old boy, the same age as my daughter. This little fellow was gathering cardboard, and each day can trade in a kilo (2.2 lbs.) of his find for one sol (equivalent to 3 cents U.S.), sufficient to buy a loaf of white bread.

So in applying this Romans 8:28 / “It Could be Worse” principle:
My fall, if just a few days earlier, could have taken place there, where there is no medical attention whatsoever, let alone doctors or hospitals. For that matter, pure destiny, such as where my children or I were born, could have placed me amongst those pitiful families foraging a sub-existent life style.

You get the picture. Always remember, things could be worse.

Labels: