100 – The Hardest Part is Over

A friend of mine, who is a medical doctor, introduced me to a colleague of hers, Mike, whose field of expertise is physical therapy.

By the time I went to meet Mike, he had already heard the details of my accident and thus formed the basis of a medical opinion. When he examined me for the first time, and had me attempt a few exercises, Mike offered some great news, “Your leg is in much better shape than what I’d anticipated.” He went on to add, “The hardest part is over!”

Wow, was that refreshing to hear! At that point, I realized that because I’ve been in this crippled state for so long that it has resulted in a crippled state of mind. What I mean is I had lost the solid perspective that the point was actually coming that I would be coming out of the forest, so to speak, after so many months of being in it.

Mike went on to explain, “As you get your range of motion back, the strength will come.” And he then taught me a number of exercises to begin doing.

Another aspect of this crippled state of mind is identifying a mindset I realize I have unconsciously adopted. Deep down, I didn’t think that my leg would ever really return to full strength or full range of motion.

How this mindset was dispelled is when I asked Mike, “If I was at 100% before my accident, what is your projection as to how close I’ll get back to that point, say 90%?”

Mike replied, “I don’t see any reason why you can’t get back to a full 100%. From what I can tell, you don’t seem to have the real serious nerve damage that I’d anticipated from this type of fracture.”

next chapter