110 - Heel-Toe-Heel-Toe

From the time one passes from toddler stage, you never have to consciously think about walking again –it just comes natural. However, learning to walk again as an adult does take thinking about it, concentrating in fact.

Again, I have found that from time-to-time I need a coach to observe how I am walking, whether I am limping or dragging a leg or swaying from side-to-side, and to point this out to me so I can work on correcting it.

My latest challenge is to maintain a steady heel-toe-heel toe motion whereby I lift my feet properly instead of dragging my foot, which is my tendency.

At least three times a week I try to take a two-mile walk along a country road. It’s painful, producing the feeling of walking on a sprained ankle, but necessary for both stimulation and bone growth. I’ve found the best way to put aside the pain is to concentrate on my heel-toe motion, while also focusing on walking straight, not swaying, and the like, all of which one otherwise does naturally.

next chapter