113 - Internal Screw and Scar Tissue

After a hiatus of a few months, I get new x-rays done on my leg, for my doctor to view. Good news, in that solid bone growth continues.

I still have one internal screw left in my leg, the one they used to make the first basic joint on the main bone. I expect to get this out sometime before this Christmas, a simple procedure that will take place in my Tijuana doctor’s office, whereby they basically make a small incision, and will, with a regular electric drill, reverse the screw out, since the head is just under the surface of the skin.

My doctor pointed out that part of the pain is expected but in my case I also have a lot of scar tissue so my skin, from ankle to mid-calf, doesn’t really have the stretch of normal skin anymore. (So when I get my internal screw out in a couple months, they will also try to scrape off some of the scar tissue, so as to give me more stretch and thereby “range of motion”.)

Thanks to getting in lots of swimming, muscle mass has increased in my "gimp leg" and my legs are so brown you have to look close to see the variety of scars on my right leg. And unless I am real tired, I no longer have a limp, so basically pass as "normal". Ha!

next chapter