114 - Hiking in the Hills Again

In the morning when I first get out of bed, I do leg stretches to get my leg mobile for walking, as I otherwise I still limp at first until I get warned up.

In an earlier entry I wrote that I walk “a two-mile walk along a country road. It’s painful, producing the feeling of walking on a sprained ankle, but necessary for both stimulation and bone growth. I’ve found the best way to put aside the pain is to concentrate on my heel-toe motion, while also focusing on walking straight, not swaying, and the like, all of which one otherwise does naturally.”

I have now been hiking up in the hills a few times a week, in addition to swimming. It's still somewhat painful by the time I get back from a hike, but it's a case of "no pain, no gain". So walking on uneven ground, inclines and declines, with loose gravel and all, provides the very impact that stimulates bone growth.

next chapter