115 - Overview of my Path of Weakness

In February 2005, I had emergency surgery in Peru 12 hours after my accident took place, where metal pins were drilled into the bone to re-join together both bones in my right leg.

These external pins were removed in July, meaning I had this "major body piercing" in place in my leg for a total of 5 months and 3 weeks. (It now hangs on my mantle, as a fitting reminder!)

For about 4 months after the accident, I didn’t show any bone growth AT ALL (as gleaned from my monthly x-rays), so I didn’t exactly get off to a flying start! --In fact, all the doctors here in the States were giving me horror stories about what could happen if I didn’t heed their advice. (“If no bone growth causing a join, will have to amputate” etc) recommending I have a bone graft and yet another operation etc etc.

I decided I didn’t want to go the route of any more operations, choosing rather to follow the advice of a surgeon in nearby Tijuana, Mexico, in essence to wait a few more months and trust the Lord for the healing. And along with your prayers, the Lord honored this stand.

I was on crutches for 10 months in total, first sporting my rack of external metal pins, followed by a Darth Vader type black fiberglass “boot”.

I then switched to ONE crutch, and used it for another month or so. At that point the doctor encouraged me to I drop the last crutch and “walk”.

By that time I had to learn to walk all over again, as that is a long time of not using one’s leg muscles, or any activity on the now joined bones. It was definitely painful to start walking again. That was 9 months ago.

next chapter