116 - A Fresh Wave of Thankfulness

Sometimes it takes realizing how bad things could have been to make you realize how blessed you are.

I saw a heavy set man in a wheelchair, sporting a big black fiberglass cast on his leg, just like the one I had. So I decided to go over and cheer him up that it would "come to pass". I found out this man, who was about my age, had suffered the same kind of break as mine, but about 5 years ago.

However in his case, the anticipated bone growth rejoining the broken bone fragments never happened, so he had had different bone grafts and other related operations. To complicate matters worse, infection had set in, and during this time he had gained well over a 100 pounds (45 kg) from being bedridden.

He then went on to tell me he was having his leg amputated! However, first, he had doctor's orders to lose about 60 pounds (27 kg) --no small feat in itself-- so as to be able to support himself on his prosthetic leg that he would eventually be fitted with.

Well, my attempt to cheer up this fellow ended up in a fresh wave of thankfulness washing over me, in once again realizing that this could have easily been my fate.

Thank God for dear friends like you who prayed for me!

next chapter